You’ve been at it for hours and fatigue is setting in. Your body screams for you to get up and move around, but the raid is still going on. Your team is counting on you, and you can’t leave your battlestation until it’s over. So what can you do? Well, it all comes down to finding the best gaming chair vs office chair for your setup.
While you can generally expect ergonomic and comfort-oriented features from both gaming and office chairs, each one is best suited for different situations. So what’s the right answer for your unique situation?
This article helps you determine just that. We’ll go through the different styles of gaming and office chairs, and look at when to choose each one for best results. Ready to get started? Take a seat and let’s jump right in.
What are Gaming Chairs?
A gaming chair is a seat that’s designed for playing video games on PC or console. Originally modelled after cockpits for racing games, gaming chairs feature many of the same elements you’d find in a race car simulator, with additional modifications to work in a traditional game room. As you might expect, they sport a number of ergonomic design elements to keep the user comfortable for extended play sessions.
Gaming Chair Styles & Types
There are many different types of gaming chairs, and each one boasts its own style. That said, there are also several gaming chair design elements that most of the top models have in common. These include:
- Executive form factors. Also known as full-back form factors, executive chairs feature backrests that extend above the head.
- Bucket seats. Bucket or contoured seats are modelled after race car cockpits that raise slightly from the back to front.
- Winged backrests. These provide optimal spinal support by contouring to the natural curvature of the back.
- Detachable head pillows and lumbar cushions. Removable pillows and lumbar cushions provide additional comfort and customization.
- Adjustable armrests. These typically include a lockable mechanisms that can adjust the armrest up & down, and side to side.
- Solid swivel bases. Like traditional office chairs, swivel bases provide a 360-degree range of motion for additional ergonomics.
- Extended tilt and adjustability mechanisms. Multiple mechanisms provide incredible versatility and 180-degree tilt.
- Sleek colors & looks. Flashy colors and logos let gamers play their favorite titles in style.
Pretty neat, eh? Gaming chairs feature tons of amazing benefits that can help hardcore players take their games to the next level.
But before we dive into all that, let’s look a bit closer at the different types of office chairs.
What are Office Chairs, Specifically?
An office chair is a seat that’s designed for a desk or computer workstation. They are typically developed to be as ergonomic as possible, in order to keep the user comfortable and upright for two to eight hours at a time. They’re also created with flexibility in mind, and often feature a swivel base, adjustable height mechanisms, and more. The result is a seat that conforms to the body and the guidelines for maintaining a healthful posture while seated.
Office Chair Styles & Types
As with gaming chairs, there are several different types and styles of office chairs. And though each chair is suited for its own individual purpose, they can generally be categorized in the following groups:
- Task Chair. Your base level office chair, these are typically armless models that may or may not have any back support.
- Mid-Back Chair. Mid-back chairs are the standard office chair. They usually feature contoured seats, winged backrests, and several adjustment options.
- Executive Chair. These are the high-end office chairs that extend above the head, much like traditional gaming chairs. They feature all the bells and whistles.
- Functional Chair. Functional chairs are a unique type of office chair that’s used for a specific task or purpose, i.e. balance chairs.
Moreover, each office chair has its own set of features and specs that can really assist gamers in all types of situations.
Now without further ado, let’s compare gaming vs office chairs to see how they measure up.
Pros and Cons – Gaming and Office Chair Styles Compared
There are numerous pros and cons to choosing a gaming chair or office chair for your setup. It really depends on what you’re looking for. That said, we’ve outlined a few of the major pluses and minuses of each model.
Gaming Chair Pros & Cons
Let’s start with a look at the pros and cons of gaming chairs:
- Executive full-back designs that are completely adjustable
- Sleek design options to match your existing gear
- Starter models begin around $100
- Comfy materials that conform to your body w/ plenty of support & durability
- Bulky frames that are cumbersome to move & maneuver
- Lengthy setup and installation process
- Not as ergonomic as higher-end office chairs
Office Chair Pros & Cons
Next, let’s look at the main pros and cons of office chairs:
- Plenty of choices for office and gaming environments
- Ergonomic and comfortable in most situations
- Available literally everywhere
- Basic task and mid-back chairs start around $20
- Uncomfortable for extended durations (lower-end models)
- Lack of adjustability – often just up & down
- High-end models are insanely expensive
Gaming Chairs vs Office Chairs: Which Style is More Ergonomic?
While office chairs are considered multi-purpose seating options, gaming chairs are more task-specific. In other words, gaming chairs are designed to keep you comfortable during gameplay, while office chairs are designed for all-around ergonomics and posture.
Do gaming chairs help posture too?
Yes! Though gaming chairs are designed with a heavy emphasis on style, they also take into account the natural contours of the spine, back, and ahem nether region. Why else would they feature all those customization options?
But are gaming chairs more comfortable than office chairs?
Since starter gaming chairs feature more perks than starter office chairs, you’ll find that gaming chairs are usually more comfortable than their office counterparts. That is, until you hit the luxury market.
High-end gaming chairs cap out around $500, while the best office chairs can climb into the thousands. That’s because premium office chair manufacturers offer extra ergonomic features like tension controls, core equalizers, and genuine leather exteriors. These options make high-end office chairs incredibly comfortable and ergonomic, while maintaining their slim profile for exceptional versatility.
So, if you’re comparing a standard gaming chair vs ergonomic office chair, the office chair wins out. But for most folks on a reasonable budget, a gaming chair offers better bang for the buck.
Choosing a Gaming Chair vs Office Chair
Choosing between a gaming chair and office chair can be tricky, as there is no best choice. It really depends on many factors, including your individual needs. But let’s take a look at a few of the top considerations you should take into account when making that final decision:
- Intended use: gaming, office, or other?
- Style & type
- Extra features
First, you’ll need to consider you intended use. Is it for the game room, home office, or a mixture of the two? Think carefully as this can make all the difference.
Once you’ve determined how you plan to use your new chair, it’s time to talk money.
Honestly, there isn’t much difference between cheap gaming chairs vs expensive gaming chairs. That’s because they all feature the same gaming chair design elements.
However, there’s a huge discrepancy when choosing between cheap office chairs vs expensive office chairs. Cheap office chairs with barebones features are really only good as accessory seating or for home offices that don’t get used much. If you want to be comfortable for gaming, you’ll need to go premium.
Are gaming chairs good for office use?
Absolutely. Gaming chairs are great for office use, and vice versa. That makes finding the right design with all your favorite features a cinch. For the most part, you don’t need to worry too much about matching the model with your task. Simply try to find an attractive model that boasts your favorite features within your price range.
If you’re looking for the perfect seat while gaming, it can really be summed up like this:
With a budget from $0-$100, a mid-back office chair is the ideal choice. You can see a list of our favorites right here.
Anywhere from $100 to $500, and a gaming chair is the way to go. You’ll get access to a bunch of high-end features at an affordable cost. And they just look really cool. You can find a list of our favorites right here.
Regardless, be sure to find an option that feels good in terms of comfort and aesthetics. At the end of the day, the whole idea behind a gaming chair or office chair is an ergonomic seat that’ll keep you happy and healthy during your daily activities.