Should you even care? It’s just a chair, right? Sure, some gamers take their choice of gaming throne a little more seriously than others. But the fact of the matter is us gamers put in some long hours in our chairs. It makes sense to find something comfortable. Beyond that, finding the best PC gaming chair for you mostly comes down to personal preference. If you’re looking to complete a gaming desk setup with a sturdy new computer chair, read on.
Shopping for a gaming chair for sitting in-front of the TV? Check out our best gaming chairs for console gamers page.
Overview of the Best Computer Gaming Chairs
We’ve found the most popular chairs and organized them in this table. The chairs are sorted by price ascending. We’ve also rated these chairs on a few important factors. This is our compiled table of the best chairs for PC gaming of 2016. For HGG’s top 11 PC gaming chairs picks, head to our review section.
General Thoughts on the Right PC Gaming Chair for Gamers
Deciding between an update for our rigs or a new office chair is an easy decision. The PC component usually wins out every time. We get it, the chair typically doesn’t even factor into the decision making process. Who’s to blame? That new Nvidia graphics card needs to find its home in your PC. But consider this: a good office chair could last you over a decade. Furthermore, your comfort level is an essential part of successfully ascending to gaming utopia.
If you’re spending a lot of time in front of your monitor it makes sense to look beyond the basic models. It’s like a mattress, if you spend a lot of time using it, you may as well get a nice one.
Health considerations also factor into the picture for many a pragmatic gamer. Even if you’re younger, your health shouldn’t be an afterthought. A recent study in the UK found 4 out of 5 workers are afflicted by back pain, which was responsible for more than 15 million lost work days in 2013.
Sitting for long periods of time in a chair could also potentially carry long-term consequences. We don’t have to look farther than people who have spent their careers working in call centers or trucking for evidence. Who wants to be that guy walking around stooped-over at the age of 40? Your chair and desk work together to aid you in maintaining good posture and preventing something like that from happening.
It’s important to remember that even with an ergonomically designed chair it’s still a good idea to periodically get up and move around in between matches or levels. If you can mix some jumping jacks and yoga in there, even better. OK, most of us probably won’t go there. The important thing to remember is that movement is the best counter to the pains and aches of sitting too long. Supplement an ergonomic chair with the simple habit of short breaks. It will go a long way in taking care of your body and maintaining a healthy posture.
Of course, no product discussion would be complete without talking about cost. A good rule of thumb is to buy according to your own personal gaming and work habits. Obviously daily computer use of our readers runs the whole spectrum. Ranging from casual to hardcore, differences in hours logged is substantial.
Some gamers spend time in their chairs working in addition to gaming. These days, more people are setting up arrangements with their employers to work part-time from home. If you’re one of these lucky folks who have established one of these new economy working arrangements you’ll be spending even more time in your chair. If this is the case, it’s worth considering investing a bit more in a higher-quality computer chair.
If you’re a casual gamer who only spends a dozen hours or so a week gaming, you can get by with something less expensive.
Three Most Important Computer Gaming Chair Features
PC Gaming doesn’t have to be uncomfortable. A well-built office chair is nearly as comfortable as a plush recliner. You can also count on it to last at least a few years. The key is finding a manufacturer that actually incorporates ergonomic designs in their chairs. Some manufacturers just use marketing buzz words but don’t follow through on the design to cut costs.
Here are the top 3 features worth considering before purchasing a new office chair.
1. Ergonomics. For gamers, ergonomics is important. The best PC gaming chairs provide lumbar support and multiple ways to make adjustments. This allows you to customize your chair to your height and body type. To get something that covers all the bases, you’re going to have to shell out a lot of cash (at least a couple hundred dollars). Anything less and you’ll have to make compromises. Here are the main adjustment features to look for:
- Height control. A standard function for nearly all office chairs.
- Armrest height control. Not as common as you’d think. A great idea as fixed height armrests can cause discomfort.
- Tension control. Allowing you to stiffen or loosen the tension level in the backrest. This affects the amount of pressure you need to apply to lean back.
- Backrest lock. Sometimes chairs will also allow you to lock the backrest in place in addition to controlling tension.
- Seat pan slider. This enables you to slide the seat of your chair forward or backward in relation to the backrest.
The general rule of thumb is the more ways you can adjust the chair, the better. Check out the video of the SteelSeries Gesture chair below, arguably the most innovative chair released to date.
2. Material. Most quality office chairs are either leather or mesh. You want a chair that is a good match for your body temperature. The wrong choice could lead to your comfort level heading south for longer gaming sessions. Some gamers get sweaty and others descend into a cold reptilian-like state. It’s a good idea to make your purchase accordingly. Mesh material is highly breathable. It is a great asset for those of us who run a bit on the warmer side. Leather is effective at retaining heat and is suitable for those gamers who run cold.
3. Style. We’d be lying if we said looks aren’t important. The chair doesn’t need to be an aesthetic masterpiece. However, nobody wants something that looks like it’s about to fall apart next time someone enthusiastically plops their seat in it. There’s a lot to be said for a sturdy, well-designed chair. Depending on your preference, something flashy such as a racing themed chair may be the perfect fit for your gaming space. On the other hand, some people appreciate the look of all black leather which may be a more appropriate match for their office area.
The Top 11 PC Gaming Chairs
In our chart above, we’ve selected the most popular chairs from the many options out there. Here, we take an in-depth look the best in class chairs. These will help take your man-cave to the next level.
Recommended Budget Computer Gaming Chairs (<$100)
In this price range, you sacrifice some features but there are a few chairs with good build quality.
The AmazonBasics Mid-Back Leather Office Chair is probably the best bang for your buck on the market right now. It is one of the first private label furniture items sold by Amazon. The black leather upholstery and professional design aren’t something you’d expect to see in this price range.
Fortunately, you still get a couple ergonomic features: pneumatic seat and backrest controls. These are simply adjusted to raise and lower the seat and customize the resistance of the backrest. The smooth back contours provide an acceptable level of comfort and the dual wheel casters are well-made.
- Price is right
- Exceptional build quality, comfortable padding
- Fast shipping, Amazon private label item
- Not ideal for big and tall gamers
- Tilt mechanism has to be adjusted just right
- Only comes in one color
For taller individuals, the AmazonBasics High-Back Executive Chair may be a better fit. This version of the chair comes in two color variations: brown and black. It is a step up from the AmazonBasics Mid-Back chair in build quality, but is still limited in the adjustment mechanism department. You get the pneumatic height adjustment and tilt-tension knob underneath the seat (allowing you to make it easier or harder to rock back in the chair) but that’s it. Nevertheless, the bonded leather covering sufficient padding, sturdy casters, curved contours, and well-built arms makes this chair a nice value proposition at the near $100 price point.
AmazonBasics also offers this mid-back chair in a mesh version, at a slightly reduced cost. The mesh model is actually the best selling version of the AmazonBasics office chair line. The mesh option is a wise idea for those gamers who do not prefer the warmth of leather. The arm rest design gives the chair a less sturdy look, but overall this chair is just as capable as the leather mid-back edition.
The LexMod Veer Office Chair hangs out just around the $100 price mark. It’s got a mesh back for excellent breathability. If you run hot when you’re in the thick of the action, you’ll want to consider this chair. LexMod offers the Veer in eight color options, so you can get the right one wherever your color preferences lie. The waterfall seat design aids you in maintaining a healthy posture. The arms are also adjustable, allowing you to customize them to your height.
- Competitive price
- Ventilated backrest
- 9 color options
- Back rest is fixed, no leaning back
- Adjustment knob sometimes gets stuck
- Seat padding is thin
If you’re willing to compromise on the adjustable arm rests you can save yourself about $20 by going with the LexMod Ardor model chair, which is also an able gaming companion.
Recommended Mid-Range Computer Gaming Chairs ($100-$400)
These chairs offer a practical balance of price and features.
3. Office Star Furniture
The Professional Air Grid Back with Leather Seat Chair by Office Star is a solid, well-put-together chair that looks great in any office set up. Adjustable arms, tilt tension, and height facilitate healthy sitting posture. Soft arm-pads and industrial strength wheels round out this chair nicely.
The leather seat with mesh back provides a wonderful combination of comfort and breathability. At around $150 it is a great value proposition. At that price point we honestly think Air Grid is the best chair at this price point. And most people agree: Office Star’s chair is one of the top 5 best-selling office chairs on Amazon.
- Leather padding on seat feels wonderfully soft
- Quality parts, firm feel, and easy to adjust
- 4 style options
- Backrest may feel a bit too firm for some
- Armrests seem a little flimsy
- Mesh material wears down relatively quick
If you are looking for something less expensive the Office Star Screen Back Task Chair. For $74 it is a great basic chair for less than half the cost. This task chair also makes a good buddy chair for spectators.
4. Flash Furniture
The Mid-Back Black Mesh Chair with Triple Paddle Control by Flash Furniture is a fantastic “one size fits all” chair. It has enough adjustment mechanisms and ventilation to keep you comfortable through extended periods of sitting. Flash Furniture makes some of the most well-priced ergonomic office chairs on the market. If you’re looking other ergonomic designs Flash Furniture has several other terrific options.
- Great one size fits all chair: very adjustable & 10 color options
- Extra large paddles makes adjusting easy
- Extra thick seat padding
- Difficult to assemble, caster wheels hard to attach
- Backrest fabric not very comfortable
- Armrests can be too tall to fit under lower desks
If you love leather, the Black Leather Executive Office Chair with Triple Paddle Control is the mesh’s chairs leather equivalent, features a slightly higher back, and is well worth a look. It features the same comprehensive customization as the mesh version with the extra large paddles. The extra high back (adjusts up to 21 inches tall) is a nice treat for big and tall gamers. The contoured design adds a nice professional polish to this Flash Furniture offering.
The snowy white version of the high back leather executive model is an option for those looking to break away from the traditional black office chair. Flash Furniture puts a high premium on the white color and even takes away some of the adjustment functionality. One big win is the flip up arms, so you can flip them out of the way when its time to get serious. Despite the rather steep price, the brilliant white and back insets makes for a very stylish chair, and those style points may very well be worth the extra cash. Just don’t spill the cup of joe.
If you’re on the hunt for a side and/or guest chair (or just want a chair without wheels) the Flash Black Leather Guest Chair fits the bill. It has a classy black finished frame and the seat cushions come in four color variations. The cushions are contoured and textured enhancing the aesthetic nicely. It is light weight making it easy to move around your desk or to another room. The cushions are thick and the arm-rests are padded to provide maximum comfort. For about $60 you will receive a professional looking, sturdy, comfortable office chair that will please any co-pilot or spectator.
Flash Furniture is the creator of the Wooden Ergonomic Kneeling Posture Chair. This unique design by Flash Furniture is highly spoken of by chiropractors. It’s also one of the best sellers on Amazon. Clearly, this odd looking contraption has been delivering results to some folks. If you really want to take care of your back, or are already experiencing persisting back pain, it’s a great secondary chair to have alongside your main office chair to utilize every so often.
5. DXRacer Gaming Chairs
The DXRacer Gaming Chair is a sharp looking chair that comes in many styles and color variations. This chair is perfect if you’re looking for something that looks more sporty. The chairs can be purchased with vinyl, cloth, or a patented race car seat upholstery which is a luxurious, breathable option. These chairs are big in the eSports world, particularly over in Europe. That’s no surprise—DXRacer makes some stylish chairs, while keeping ergonomic design in mind.
All of their chairs have a high straight backrest. Most come with detachable, adjustable lumbar and neck pillows. The chairs have s a flexible back with up to 180-degree adjustment, fully adjustable arm rests, tilt mechanism, and adjustable height gas spring. These are solid chairs weighing in at around 70 lbs. Added benefit: you feel like you’re sitting in the seat of a high-performance race car. If these chairs don’t get your motor started, we don’t know what will.
Starting at about $290, and reaching up to around $450 for the King Series chair, your wallet will definitely take a hit if DXRacer has successfully managed to woo you.
- Awesome looking design, material looks and feels high quality
- Many unique size and style options, armrests and backrests fit gamers of all sizes
- Wonderful reclining feature
- Very heavy
- Can feel somewhat stiff until broken in
- Some models are not ideal for taller gamers
About DXRacer Chairs
DXRacer Chairs began as a manufacturer of race car seats and eventually expanded into the gaming market. Their dedication to quality, fresh styles, and ergonomics has been well received by gamers. They are now a major player and respected brand in the gaming community. They feature some of the most popular high-end gaming chairs used by gamers worldwide.
- Supports eSports. If you’re into the competitive gaming scene, you’ve probably seen their chairs at major gaming events such as IEM and Dreamhack. While this one isn’t on everyone’s list, it is certainly a factor for some deliberate shoppers.
- Designed for work and play. This is something that DX Racer really emphasizes. Frankly, if its comfortable for 8 hour gaming sessions you can safely bet it will be okay for office work as well. The point though is that they are a proponent of health conscious computer use. These chairs are designed to be as ergonomic as possible. In the event that you are spending long hours in your new DX Racer chair your back and extremities will be well taken care of. You’ve got a head pillow, lumbar pillow; full arm rest, back, height, and seat controls along with full spine support. You’re getting your money’s worth in terms of ergonomic value.
- Models and styles. Sure these chairs are pricey, but they do offer a few starter models that are a bit more reasonable. The thing to remember is that all these chairs are made with durable high quality materials. You’re still going to have to dish out for the less expensive models. Also, if you have a favorite eSports organization you may be able to find a chair with your team’s colors and logo. DXRacer offers more color options than nearly any other chair manufacturer. If you want a hyphey green they’ve got that. If you want a passion pink they will happily provide and won’t pass judgement either. No matter what type of game room or theme you’re putting together you can find a chair that matches and is up to par in terms of the coolness factor.
- Reclining feature. These gaming chairs recline! If you’ve put in a solid four hours and need to kick back for a break, no problem.
Quick Reference Guide
There are subtle differences in the types of chairs DX Racer offers.
- O-Series: O for Origin. Least expensive with mesh, PU leather, arms not adjustable.
- F-Series: F for Formula. Step up from Origin with adjustable arms.
- R-Series: R for Racing. Taller backed version with more features. Taller, slim to average user.
- K-Series: K for King. Deluxe series, “4D” adjustable arms, aluminum base, larger casters.
- S-Series: S for Sentinel. For big and tall users.
- T-Series: T for Tank. Do you have giant’s blood in you? You better buy this one.
The Giantex Executive Racing Style Chair sports an excellent style to cost ratio. This chair is offered in four other colors other than the white featured above: red, blue, green, and yellow. While you may sacrifice some build quality going with the Giantex chair over a DX Racer, your wallet will find the arrangement much more agreeable.
At around $170 price mark, this chair is arguably a better value. No need to upgrade to the elite series, this chair comes with the removable head rest pillow and removable lumbar cushion. The reclining mechanism tilts up to 150 degrees and is matched with adjustable arm rests and seat height.
- Sharp racing stripes design
- Can be reclined up to 150 degrees
- Head rest pillow and lumbar cushion
- Plastic wheel base
- Padding feels firm and stiff
- Chemical smell lasts awhile
Another attractive chair from Giantex is the High Back PU Leather Ergonomic Office Chair. You can get this chair in white with black accents or black with white accents. At any rate, this chair is comparable to the AmazonBasics high back leather chair featured in our recommended budget gaming chairs. The big difference here is the snazzy appearance and the waterfall cushions that are quite comfortable.
Gamers on a budget will appreciate the race car style bucket seat gaming chair from Giantex. A total of 6 cool styles ensure you’ll be racing around in your favorite color. Interestingly, some colors are priced higher than others probably due to inventory but in most cases this chair will leave you $80 lighter. This chair doesn’t recline and it certainly isn’t going to last a lifetime but you’re getting a sturdy office chair for a decent price with this one.
Recommended High-End Computer Gaming Chairs ($400+)
These chairs have a hefty price tag, but come backed with manufacturer warranties that sometimes stretch beyond 5 years.
7. Eurotech Seating
The Ergohuman Mesh Ergonomic Chair is a premium office chair that has a price to match. This chair takes the word ergonomic to new heights with its unique three modules for full spine support. If you are tired of black, it comes in a variety of colors which all look fresh and appealing. The full mesh design makes this the most breathable chairs we have looked at to date. It also comes in full leather if you can’t go without the leather feel. With its multiple support points and sleek design, it looks pretty futuristic.
Eurotech backs this chair with a 5 year warranty on the upholstery and foam as well as a lifetime warranty against part defects. This chair is very adjustable, the arms are height adjustable, the armpads pivot and slide back and forth. The back angle tilt lock features four different positions. It has a very high back that delivers support all the way up to the neck support module.
The bottom line? Your back will feel like its floating on clouds at all times. The lowest price we found for this chair is a seller through Amazon who had it priced at $560.
- Polished aluminum looks nice, top notch construction
- All levers can easily be reached and respond smoothly
- Extra high backrest, good neck comfort
- Seat unit cannot be tilted up or down
- Putting it together is not fun, smells for awhile
- Mesh is durable and thick, may feel too hard for some
8. Herman Miller
The Mirra Chair by Herman Miller is quite simply one of the most beautiful ergonomic office chairs on the market. The pioneers of the ergonomic chair market, Herman Miller exclusively supplies premium quality office chairs. The Mirra Chair looks like something you would see in a New York law firm office.
It features a beautiful sleek look, with high-tech mesh fabric that keeps you cool even through extended use. There are seventeen color options available. The material is patented by Herman Miller, which not only serves to keep the chair breathable but also to distribute your weight evenly. The waterfall seat edge further promotes ergonomic posture.
- Incredibly sleek design, 12 year warranty
- Harmonic tilt mechanism ensures comfortable sitting position
- Polymer back and high-tech mesh dissipate heat well
- Too short for extra tall users
- Backrest material has been rumored to eat the buttons off the back of pants
- Arm height adjustment is awkward
The PostureFit Aeron Chair runs around $900. For that price you’ll get a chair that makes you look and feel like a CEO. It is globally ergonomic, with a multitude of adjustment mechanisms. Furthermore, it will spontaneously adjust to your posture when you shift or change positions in the chair. With a 12-year manufacturer warranty which covers everything, this reaches into the “buy it for life” category. It is obviously constructed to last a very long time. Herman Miller supplies extra parts on their website. So, for example, if after 20 years a caster wheel goes out or the arm rests just aren’t working like they used to new ones can be purchased to replace these with minimal difficulty.
If you want Herman Miller’s best its going to cost you, the full featured Embody Series is over $1000. It’s a big investment. But if you have already sunk a few $1000 into your office, what the hell right? The graceful, organic curves will make your heart flutter whenever you lay eyes on it.
If you want a chair that’s going to last forever and take care of your back, any of the options from Herman Miller are highly capable.
The Steelcase Gesture is a worthy rival to Herman Miller Embody for the title of the best of the best office chair. Steelcase is another prestigious brand in the office chair category. It has been rumored that there is a living spirit in the Gesture, waiting to lovingly embrace your spine upon impact. The seat and back are a synchronized system, moving to support you as if they were of one mind.
PC Gamer praised it as a godsend and the best high-end office chair for gamers. Steelcase studied 2000 people from 11 countries to figure out what the posture requirements are of the human body. The result is the Steelcase Gesture.
- Swiveling arm design is best in its class
- Synchronized support system means no longer worrying about making the right manual adjustments
- Premium look and build quality, comes fully assembled
- Dat price tag
- No adjustable lumbar support
- Some may not like angular aesthetic
Another Steelcase chair of interest is the Steelcase Leap. Our managing editor Benjamin uses the Steelcase Leap chair and believes it is responsible for curing his back pain. Wirecutter named it the best office chair of the year in 2013. The Leap is Steelcase’s best selling chair and since it has been out for longer it is less expensive than the Gesture above. It uses a technology called Liveback. This term describes how the chair automatically conforms to your seating position, much akin to its successor the Gesture.
Other Cool PC Gaming Chairs
Here are a couple other chairs our readers have recommended.
- Very stylish looking chair
- Generous amount of padding
- Some say even more comfortable than DX Racer chairs
- Height adjustment unit hard to assemble
- Cannot adjust armrests of Enzo Series
- Must buy more expensive Torretta Series for backrest and neck pillows
- Chrome base looks cool
- Awesome footrest module, can extend fully and take cat naps
- Multiple color options
- Not breathable, can get pretty hot
- Armrests could use improvement
- Padding not as plush as it appears, may be too stiff for some