Whether it’s healing tonics to keep yourself alive or loot that you’ve hauled from a robbery, in Red Dead Redemption 2, you’re going to be carrying a lot of stuff around. And if you want to be able to hold a lot of items in the game, you’re going to need a place to put them. That’s where your satchel comes in. But did you know that you can upgrade the space in your satchel? By working with a certain individual in the gang’s camp, you’ll be able to increase the number of items you can hold, be it provisions, valuables, tonics, or anything else you can think of. In this satchel upgrade guide, we’ll be showing you exactly how to get the biggest satchel in RDR2.
How to Upgrade Your Satchel in Red Dead Redemption 2
In order to upgrade your satchels, you will need to talk to an NPC named Mr. Pearson. Pearson is the camp’s cook. He is the one that you can drop off meat and animal carcasses to. You can find him in the camp by looking for the butcher icon on your mini-map. It’s a black icon with a whiteish icon of a butcher’s knife. Go to that location and talk to Mr. Pearson.
Requirements For Unlocking the Satchel Upgrades
Once you interact with Mr. Pearson, you will see that you need to meet certain requirements before he can upgrade your satchels. Each satchel upgrade is tied to an in-game requirement that you’ll need to complete in order to unlock the satchel upgrade recipe. Here is a list of every satchel upgrade and their respective requirements:
- Kit Satchel: Donate at least three valuables into the camp box.
- Valuables Satchel: Donate at least $50 cash into the camp box.
- Tonics Satchel: Upgrade the camp’s medicine wagon two times.
- Ingredients Satchel: Donate a total of five animal carcasses to Mr. Pearson.
- Materials Satchel: At the Scout Fire, craft a total of three recipes.
- Provisions Satchel: Upgrade the camp’s provision wagon two times.
- Legend of The East Satchel: Aquire every other satchel upgrade in the game.
Acquiring Perfect Pelts to Get the Biggest Satchel
After you have met all the requirements and you’ve unlocked the recipes, the next step is to acquire the materials needed to craft them. Each satchel upgrade requires three perfect animal pelts, each one from a different animal. The parts that you need for each of the satchel upgrades are as follows:
- Kit Satchel: Perfect Deer Pelt, Perfect Panther Pelt, Perfect Elk Pelt.
- Valuables Satchel: Perfect Rabbit Pelt, Perfect Deer Pelt, Perfect Beaver Pelt.
- Tonics Satchel: Perfect Buck Pelt, Perfect Elk Pelt, Perfect Deer Pelt.
- Ingredients Satchel: Perfect Badger Pelt, Perfect Squirrel Pelt, Perfect Deer Pelt.
- Materials Satchel: Perfect Deer Pelt, Perfect Iguana Pelt, Boar Pelt.
- Provisions Satchel: Perfect Raccoon Pelt, Perfect Bison Pelt, Perfect Deer Pelt.
- Legend of The East Satchel: Perfect Cougar Pelt, Perfect Wolf Pelt, Perfect Deer Pelt.
In order to get each of these pelts, you will need to head to the location where each one of these animals spawn at. When you aim at the animal, press and hold the button shown on the screen to study it. The game will then tell you the quality of the pelt. Three stars are the highest quality, and it’s what you’ll need. Then, shoot the animal in the head with the appropriate caliber of weapon.
After you’ve killed it, skin the animal and put that skin on the back of your horse. Once you’ve got all three of the correct skins, bring them back to Mr. Pearson to craft your satchel upgrade. If you don’t know where which animals spawn in Red Dead Redemption 2’s map, you can check out this link here. And if you don’t know what caliber to use for what animal, you can read this guide here.
Join the High Ground
We hope that you enjoyed reading this Red Dead Redemption 2 Satchel Upgrade Guide. Did you find out everything you needed to know? Or do you still have questions? Feel free to let us know down in the comments section! And make sure to subscribe to our weekly newsletter for more content.