In Overwatch 2, a team-based game, you have a diverse range of support characters to select from. Each support hero possesses their own distinct abilities, and this support tips and tricks guide aims to provide you with a comprehensive understanding of their capabilities and how to effectively utilize them to your advantage.
Please note that the Support Heroes presented here are not ranked in any specific order, as each one possesses their own unique set of strengths and weaknesses. Considering the dynamic nature of the Overwatch 2 meta, it is advisable to carefully evaluate your team’s composition, the composition of the enemy team, and determine which Support hero suits your playstyle and objectives the best.
All 9 Support Heroes: Strats, Abilities, Tips
Below, we cover every support character and how to play each effectively.
Ana also known as Captain Amari is a skilled sniper in the Egyptian Military during the Omnic Crisis. Ana became one of the original members of the Overwatch strike team after gaining recognition for her skills as a combat medic and sniper.
Ana is a fantastic choice for a healer if you prefer a ranged method of healing your fellow teammates and defending them. Her Biotic Grenade is one of the most useful abilities because it can heal your team but also prevent an enemy from receiving healing and does some damage. Her ultimate ability is unique in that it can save an ally but can also be used to boost any damage they do for the duration of the Nano Boost. Being confident in your aim is essential when playing Ana. If you are able to land your shots and Biotic Grenades, you can do a significant amount of healing and damage.
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Biotic Rifle: Ana’s long-range rifle shouldn’t be underestimated in a team fight. With good positioning, you can shoot an enemy and do significant damage depending on where they are hit. Ana’s bullets have bleed damage and when you hit an enemy they continue to take damage for a couple of seconds, making her an even more formidable sniper. You can cover your DPS from a distance and keep them healed.
- Sleep Dart: Timing is a major factor that can make Ana’s Sleep Dart ability powerful. If you are able to use the dart to sleep enemies using their ultimates or diving teammates you can save your team and eliminate the threat. You can also use Sleep Dart to prevent an enemy from killing you and call for help from your teammates to complete the kill. When Sleep Dart is paired with her Biotic Grenade, the combination can be deadly or shut an enemy down.
- Ultimate: Ana’s Nano Boost gives allies a damage boost and also reduces the amount of damage they take from enemies for the duration of the boost. Using Nano Boost to power up your DPS when they have their ultimates allows them to do more damage and have more resistance to incoming damage. Nano Boosting Reinhardt when he has Earth Shatter or a Zarya who is fully charged is also an effective use of the ultimate.
After completing his military service, Baptiste joined the mercenary group Talon as a combat medic. As a skilled medic and marksman, he became an important asset to the group. He would later seek out and join the Overwatch team so he could fulfill his dreams of helping people.
Baptiste is one of the best kits out of all the support heroes in Overwatch 2. Baptiste uses a Biotic Launcher to heal his allies which is a similar method to Ana’s. Baptiste’s Immortality Field is a helpful ability that allows any ally in the field to get 150 Health as well as not drop below 10% Health. Baptiste is a dynamic healer with a powerful kit that allows him to do a lot of healing and damage. His ability to survive also makes him a great choice for almost any situation.
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Regenerative Burst: Regenerative Burst is fantastic for healing multiple teammates who are low on Health, they just have to be within a 10-meter range. If you are reloading your Biotic Launcher or see that allies near you need help, Regenerative Burst is a great tool to keep your team healed. The burst also heals for a few seconds providing your allies with health over a period of time. Regenerative Burst is also great for healing through large amounts of damage when combined with Baptiste’s Immortality Field.
- Immortality Field: Being able to time your Immortality Field correctly is one of the most important mechanics to learn when playing Baptiste. Immortality Field can help protect your teammates from heavy incoming damage. You can use Immortality Field to help you and your teammates survive enemy ultimates just be mindful of what enemy ultimates are coming up and decide when it is best to use your Immortality Field.
- Ultimate: Amplification Matrix is a window that you can place in front of your team that amplifies the damage any projectile you shoot through it does. Amplification Matrix is incredibly useful to use against the enemy team when they are all pushing in to attack and you want to slow them down or for boosting the amount of healing your bullets do to save teammates. All the healing bullets that you shoot through your Amplification Matrix do more healing just like regular bullets do more damage. Baptiste’s ultimate can be incredibly powerful for keeping your team healed through heavy damage if you place it behind your allies and shoot through it.
Brigitte Lindholm is the daughter of Torbjorn, one of the original members of the Overwatch team. Brigitte helps her allies by handing out armor packs to teammates that are low on Health.
Brigitte is another great support hero who can bring a lot to the table in a match. Brigitte uses Repair Packs to heal allies and she can throw more than one pack to someone in need of more healing. Inspire is a passive ability that heals your allies close to you when you damage enemies, your allies in the area will receive healing. Though her kit can take some practice to learn, Brigitte can be formidable once you are comfortable with her abilities.
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Repair Packs: When handing out Repair Packs, keep in mind that there is a cool down after you use 3 of them. If your teammates are low on Health prioritize healing other healers so they can keep the team alive or a teammate that needs it the most first.
- Whipshot: Brigitte can use Whipshot to knock enemies away from you and your team. This is a fantastic ability to use when a teammate is low and they need protection. You can also use Whipshot to hit enemies off the map.
- Shield Bash: Brigitte’s Shield Bash can be used to push an enemy away from you or a teammate or you can use it to escape a fight. Since Shield Bash no longer stuns the enemy using it as an escape can be more helpful for you or as a way to stop an enemy from pushing in.
- Ultimate: If you know an enemy is going to use an ultimate soon, having Brigitte’s ultimate ready to use is helpful. Birgitte’s shield grows in size and she can bash and stun multiple enemies for a brief amount of time. Rally is helpful to use during the first few seconds of Orisa’s ultimate, Sigma’s ultimate, and Zarya’s because it provides your allies with extra defense against any follow-up damage.
Kiriko is a support hero, introduced to Overwatch 2 during their launch. Kiriko uses the spirit of the Kitsune to help her heal her allies and guide her through combat. A family friend of the Shimada’s, Kiriko grew up training with her mother, Hanzo, and Genji in their style of martial arts.
Kiriko is a great healer to use in various situations in Overwatch 2 because of her kit. Kiriko deals damage by throwing her Kunai at enemies. Kiriko heals her allies by throwing out her Healing Ofuda, you can also throw a burst of Ofuda to your teammates in need. Kiriko’s Swift Step ability can be helpful for escaping an attack or used to reach a teammate in need of healing. Kirko’s mobility is one of her strengths that if used to your advantage can be incredibly useful for team fights and she is a dynamic and efficient healer.
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Healing Ofuda: Kiriko can target allies but the Healing Ofuda does take a couple of seconds to reach the targeted ally depending on how close you are.
- Swift Step: Swift Step allows Kiriko to teleport directly to an ally. This ability is useful for reaching allies to heal them quickly or when you are in danger and need a quick escape!
- Protection Suzu: Protection Suzu is similar to Baptiste’s Immortality Field but with a shorter duration. The Suzu cleanses your target of negative effects, prevents them from taking damage, and provides them with some healing as well. Protection Suzu has a 14-second cooldown and it can be useful when the enemy team is using ultimates or when you know someone is about to die. If an enemy is trying to pick someone off on your team, Protection Suzu is a great tool to use to prevent them from getting the pick.
- Ultimate: Kitsune Rush allows Kiriko to summon a fox spirit that creates a path in front of the player. All allies that follow the path get a movement speed buff, their attack speed is accelerated, and cooldowns are accelerated. Kiriko’s ultimate can be used offensively or defensively to push into an enemy team or to keep the enemy at bay. Kiriko’s ultimate can help your team do more damage while you keep everyone by keeping them healed up. You can do a significant amount of healing while in the path of your Kitsune Rush and can help your team survive the fight.
Lifeweaver, inspired by nature heals his allies with technology he helped developed during his time with the Vishkar Corporation. Lifeweave
Lifeweaver’s kit requires the player to be a bit creative when utilizing his abilities. To get the most out of his abilities you will have to get comfortable with thinking outside of the box with how you support your allies. Lifeweaver’s abilities are what makes him a valuable asset to your team especially if you can rely on your other support hero to put out a good amount of healing. This allows Lifeweaver to stick with certain teammates and help them gain the upper hand against the enemy team while also providing some heals.
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Petal Platform: Placing a platform down near you before you engage in a fight is helpful in case you or an ally you are pushing with needs a quick escape. Once you step on the platform you are boosted into the air on it. You can use it to escape enemies, get a better vantage point, and give your DPS a place to escape or utilize for getting picks.
- Life Grip: Lifeweaver’s ability Life Grip allows you to pull a teammate to you when you target them. Learning how to time your Life Grip is an essential skill to learn with Lifeweaver. Life Grip should only be used to rescue allies when they are in imminent danger like while being jumped by enemies and have low Health. If you are winning a team fight and your ally is low, you can heal them and continue fighting, saving your Life Grip for more dire situations.
- Ultimate: Tree of Life is Lifeweaver’s ultimate that allows him to place a tree that heals your teammates during the duration of the ultimate. To make the most of Tree of Life, you can place the ultimate down to block damage from various ultimates or if your team is low on Health. Lifeweaver’s ultimate is a great resource for your team whether you use it for healing or use the tree for cover from incoming damage.
Lucio is a versatile support hero who can heal his teammates or give them a speed boost when he plays his songs. Using the sonic technology developed by his father that was now being used by Vishkar, Lucio created a tool to help others. Lucio’s good deeds allowed his music career to explode making him an icon for positive social change and a global star, performing all over the world. Lucio would eventually join Overwatch and help hold back the Omnics during the Null Sector attack on Rio.
Lucio can put out an immense amount of healing if you manage your resources correctly. His passive ability is that he can jump on walls and ride them. If you can alternate between jumping and wall riding with Lucio, you can increase the speed at which Lucio moves. Lucio uses a Sonic Amplifier to defend himself and his teammates while he plays either a song that heals himself and his allies or a song that provides a speed boost.
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Amp it Up: If your team is losing Health quickly and you need a way to provide them with a burst of heals, Amp it Up is a great way to provide it. Before using the ability, remember to switch to the correct song.
- Soundwave: Lucio’s Soundwave ability is a great ability that allows you to knock enemies away from you. Soundwave can be used to push enemies off the map, off the point in overtime, or even in front of turrets or into your teammates’ ultimates. If you see an opportunity to use Soundwave on an enemy you should take advantage of it as long as you mind your positioning. Soundwave can also be used to push back enemies that are diving into your team to attack.
- Ultimate: Sound Barrier is one of the best support ultimates in Overwatch 2 that can save your team from other powerful against various DPS and Tank ultimates. Lucio’s ultimate ability is also beneficial when multiple teammates are low during a team fight and you need a lot of healing. If it is possible to save Lucio’s ultimate for when the enemy uses their ultimate abilities it can be game-changing and you can help protect your team. It is best to avoid using Sound Barrier during ultimates like D.VA’s bomb and Junkrat’s Tire since they will kill you and your teammates anyway if you are in proximity.
Mercy created her Valkyrie suit to wear in combat, allowing her to reach her allies quickly and provide them with aid. A skilled combat medic and a member of the Overwatch team, Mercy helps others using technology to heal.
Mercy uses a Caduceus Staff to heal her allies and also boost the damage they do. Mercy’s first ability Guardian Angel allows her to fly to a teammate quickly, this ability is helpful for escaping enemies and also healing or damage-boosting teammates that are airborne or on ledges.
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Healing, Positioning, and More: Mercy’s Staff has two modes, one that boosts the damage a teammate does and the other heals them. Knowing when to damage boost and when to heal can make a significant difference in a team fight. When trying to get picks or push into an objective using the damage boost to help a DPS or Tank can be helpful. Anticipate when teammates might need healing and keep an eye on people’s Health so you can help when needed. If you can switch between the two modes well you can be a massive asset to your team. Learning movement with Mercy is one of her biggest mechanics. Being able to Superjump and fly to allies to avoid danger is going to make it easier for you to support your team.
- Resurrect: Knowing when to try and pull off a Resurrect with Mercy is extremely important. If you see that an ally has died and there are enough teammates near you to distract the enemy team or protect you you can go for it. Having cover from your environment such as the payload is also useful to get the Resurrect off successfully. Analyze the risk of the Resurrect to the best of your ability and make sure you are not in an open area facing any enemies.
- Ultimate: Valkyrie can help you provide your team with more healing or more of a damage boost depending on what your team needs. Valkyrie also gives you the ability to fly for the duration of the ultimate. Being up in the air may make you an easy target if the enemy team has a hitscan or a D.VA so keep that in mind if you are flying around.
Moira is a brilliant scientist who studied genetic engineering and developed her own biotic energy-healing technology. She is a unique support hero who can be an incredibly powerful healer and is able to defend her team and provide ample support for allies in need.
Moira’s Biotic Grasp is her primary source of healing and damage. You can use her Biotic Grasp to replenish your own Health by damaging enemies with it. Moira’s Biotic Orb works the way her grasp works with a heal and damage option. Her healing orb paired with her Biotic Grasp is helpful for situations that require heavy healing. Moira is one of the best support heroes in Overwatch 2, she is capable of putting out a lot of healing and damage without having to learn too many mechanics. Moira is a great choice for a support hero whether you are a new player or well seasoned veteran.
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Fade: Moira’s Fade is incredibly useful for getting out of bad situations, whether it is an enemy ultimate or an enemy trying to pick you off. You can save Fade for getting out of these situations and it is also useful for reaching allies that need to be healed.
- Biotic Orb: Choosing what orb to use is something you will have to get comfortable with when playing Moira. Sending in a healing orb for your team during a fight can help them stay healed up for a few seconds. If your team has gotten one or multiple people from the enemy team low, throwing in your damage orb can help finish them off. The damage orb does bleed damage for a few seconds to targets that are near it.
- Ultimate: Coalescence allows you to cast a powerful beam that can heal your teammates or can damage enemies. If your team is taking a lot of damage from an enemy’s ultimate, using Coalescence can help you heal everyone quickly. If multiple enemies are low, Moira’s ultimate is helpful for getting the point.
Zenyatta is an Omnic monk who uses his Orbs of Harmony to heal and protect his allies. Though Zenyatta advocates for peace among Omnics and humans he is not against fighting for his beliefs and to protect others.
Zenyatta is a unique support hero in Overwatch 2 who can be incredibly helpful in certain situations. Zenyatta uses an Orb of Harmony as a primary Zenyatta uses his Orbs of Destruction to attack enemies. Zenyatta is an off-healer but can provide ample healing and support to your team if you learn to use his kit well.
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Orb of Discord: Zenyatta’s Orb of Discord is the perfect tool for you to aid your team and allow them to do more damage to a single target. You can place the orb on a target your allies are focusing on and increase the amount of damage that target takes. You can burn down enemies faster and more efficiently if you always have your Orb of Discord on an enemy.
- Orb of Harmony: Zenyatta’s Orb of Harmony can be placed on one ally at a time and heals them. Being able to move your orb from one ally to another when needed is an important part of successfully healing with Zenyatta. Since it is a single target heal ability you will need to prioritize lower-Health allies over those that have more Health.
- Snap Kick: Zenyatta’s passive ability Snap Kick can be overlooked sometimes but it deals a good amount of damage and is useful for keeping enemies off you. You can knock people away from you and your team or kick an enemy who is low Health.
- Ultimate: Transcendence is helpful for situations where multiple teammates need healing at once during a team fight. Zenyatta’s ultimate can be most effective when used to combat enemy ultimates or a team fight where your team is taking a lot of damage. You also gain invincibility for a few seconds during the ultimate and gain a speed buff.
Join the High Ground
We hope you found this Overwatch 2 Support Guide helpful and found the best support hero for your play style! Check us out High Ground Gaming for game guides, gaming news, and more!