Last updated: Sunday, July 29, 2018
Looking for the best computer cases for gaming? There are certainly many options. Not to mention a broad spectrum of features and specs.
That’s a lot to contend with. Avid gamers ourselves, the team here at High Ground has put together a list of the very best pc cases. No need to reinvent the wheel. Learn from our mistakes and discover the best computer cases of 2018.
Zoom Out: Top 10 Best Computer Cases for Gaming Comparison Table
These PC cases are sorted by price ascending. For a closer look at each model, head to our ‘Zoom In’ section.
|VIVO "Smart" Tower||Micro-ATX Tower||2|
|Rosewill Nautilus||Mid Tower||3|
|APEVIA X-QPACK3 Cube||Micro-ATX Tower||8|
|Corsair Carbide Spec-Alpha||Mid Tower||4|
|NZXT S340 Razer Edition||Mid Tower||2|
|Phanteks Enthoo Pro M||Mid Tower||3|
|Cooler Master Stryker SE||Full Tower||1|
|Corsair Crystal 570X RGB||Mid Tower||4|
|Thermaltake Tower 900||Super Tower||2|
Computer Case Guide Part I: The Technical Details of Computer Cases
Before we dive into the best computer cases, let’s take a quick look at what they actually are. Computer cases, also known as towers, units, or chassis, house all the different components of a computer. They’re composed of a variety of materials, including metal, plastic, and glass.
A standard computer case includes the components we’re all familiar with like the power button, ports, usb outlets, etc. It is also equipped to hold the motherboard, power supplies, drives, and more. Cases are infamous for coming in that all too iconic rectangular box shape.
A computer case is the enclosure that houses all the things that make a computer, well, a computer.
Many are pre-equipped with specific configurations for motherboards and general layout. The most popular is the ATX (advanced technology extended) configuration. We’ve included in our review some of the best gaming pc cases that incorporate ATX, microATX, and xlATX technology.
Computer Case Guide Part II: How to Choose the Best Computer Case for You
Are you a hardcore gamer running the newest releases and graphically intensive programs? If so, you might want to go full tower for optimal performance. They’ll run you a bit more, but the added expense can prove a wonderful investment in quality, having enough room to work in, and optimize air flow.
With that said, 9 times out of 10, a mid tower case is the best gaming tower for moderate play. It can really be summed up like this: The best computer case for gaming is the one that best suits your needs. If you’re going for a micro build it would be quite silly to buy a super tower. Get just the space you need and if your budget is large enough go one size up and perhaps even splurge on some of the features below.
Some of the Perks of Purchasing a Quality PC Case:
- Tempered Glass
- Sound Proofing
- Lower Temperatures
- Spacious Interior
- RGB Lights
- Water Cooling Support
- Sharp Aesthetics
- Cable Management
Let’s take a look at some options.
Zoom In: Our Top 10 List of the Best Computer Cases for Gaming
As you scroll through our Best PC gaming cases, take a look at our ratings as well as a summary of pros and cons. We’ve done all of the hard work for you, so carry forth and enjoy your shopping!
Consumer Rating: 4.3/5
You generally get what you pay for. But that’s not always the case (he-he). What if you simply don’t need raw processing power? The VIVO Micro includes the basic features you’d expect to find in an affordable case with some higher end specs seen in the best mATX cases. The best budget PC case around.
- Several expansion slots for adaptability and customization.
- Multiple fan mounts and pre installed fans for better cooling and better processing.
- USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports- does its best to maximize features while remaining affordable.
- Design is customizable but not modular.
- Does not fit regular ATX motherboards. Locked into Micro or Mini boards with less power.
Consumer Rating: 4.2/5
Another fantastic multipurpose computer case. The Natutilus looks awesome and will perform well on the vast majority of AAA games. Not too small, not too big, this is the best ATX case for versatile use. And the price is right.
- Lots of flexibility with large cooling, graphic, and expansion slots for greater speeds.
- 3 quiet and efficient pre-installed fans provide added value.
- Multiple I/O ports for greater versatility and ease of access
- Case is sturdy, but there is room for improvement.
- Cable management area is poorly designed and cramped.
Consumer Rating: 4.3/5
This microATX compatible case is compact, cool, and definitely cute. The cube shape is a breath of fresh air, and the size is perfect- just a little more than a foot in each direction. This definitely tops our list as the best micro ATX case for the space conscious gamer.
- Loads of bays, ports, and expansion slots. No features lost, even with the limited space.
- Supports ATX power supplies, LED fans, and powerful graphics cards.
- Cube shape allows for easy interior access and less wasted space.
- The case isn’t super sturdy, so assembly and building require a gentle touch.
- The case is noisy, so quieter parts are recommended.
Consumer Rating: 4.3
Without a doubt one of the best PC cases under $100. The SPEC ALPHA mid tower case is bold. Featuring a pleasing two tone design and accessible front panel, this case has great functionality while being easy on the wallet. Best of all, the build requires no assembly tools and is great for seasoned builders and novices alike.
- Super easy to build with a pleasant tool free assembly.
- Designed specifically with gamers in mind for optimal speed and performance.
- Supports SSDs, USB 3.0, and the latest cooling technology for modern gaming without compromise.
- The top of the case remains open, inviting spills and dust.
- Lacks the customizability and extra space often seen in higher end models.
Consumer Rating: 4.5/5
It’s safe to say this is the best mid tower case for general computing on our list. And it’s beautiful! Taking minimalist design to a whole new level, this tower is clean, simple, and compact. Yet it still manages to remain a strong competitor with high end specs and excellent features.
- Steel casing for durability, and the thoughtful design is very beginner friendly.
- Large bay with room for upgrades and optimized airflow.
- Huge acrylic window to show off your build; one of the best looking computer cases around.
- Included fans aren’t bad, but they leave room for improvement.
- Structurally sound but prone to scratching and surface wear.
Short and stout, the BitFenix Prodigy is our pick for the best ITX computer case. The handles are a great touch. Combine those with a small form factor, and you’ve got a really portable machine that isn’t a pain in the butt to move.
- Two handles on top and small form factor (14 inches tall) = very portable
- Offered in six different colors, one of the best looking ITX cases around
- Removable drive trays; space for eight drives if needed
- Very little room for cable management
- Plastic handles are a bit flimsy
Consumer Rating: 4.8/5
The highest rated tower on our list, this is one of the best computer cases for tinkerers. Combines affordability, upgrade potential, and a sleek modern design. Lots of potential out of the box, but it really shines with personal upgrades and parts.
- Brushed aluminum, acrylic windows, and a thoughtful design.
- Design places a strong emphasis on airflow and cooling capabilities.
- User friendly organization features like Phantek’s cable management, hidden PSUs and HDDs, and pre-installed labeling.
- Will require many upgrades to reach its full potential.
- Prone to scratching and blemishes.
Consumer Rating: 4.5/5
This is one of the best PC gaming cases on the market. It screams power. Simply looking at it makes me want to play some Battlefront. Plus it comes with a travel handle for gaming on the go. Bring it to the next LAN party and be the envy of the group.
- Supports micro, ATX, and XL motherboards to satisfy every project.
- Huge interior bay with several slots and tons of room for expansion.
- Sexy I/O panel with loads of ports and a controllable cooling system
- Hefty and awkward- ready for travel, but it won’t be a cakewalk!
- Can be tricky to build and instructions are inadequate.
Consumer Rating: 4.7/5
Coming in at a cool $180, we have the Corsair Crystal 570X RGB. This has got to be the best looking PC case ever. Seriously. An exotic design with tempered glass and vibrant LEDs, it appears to have come straight out of the Aliens movies. And the features definitely pack an out-of-this world punch.
- Breathtaking design with stellar customer ratings.
- Excellent performance capabilities with loads of room for, well, everything.
- Supports 6+ fans, cable routing, and full interior customization.
- It’ll set you back $180, but shipping is free for prime members.
- Only recommended for more experienced folks or those ready to take on a challenging build.
Consumer Rating: 4.4/5
Arguably the best PC tower on our list, the Thermaltake Tower 900 is a full tower behemoth for hardcore techies. Sporting a sexy tempered glass design, a huge internal bay, and loads of features found only in high end models, this case gets every job done. It tops our list as the best full tower case for gaming.
- Will handle everything you throw at it with ease- and we do mean everything.
- Pre-configured with state of the art liquid cooling technology and a modular bay.
- Ships fully assembled and ready to go.
- The most expensive case on our list.
- Not recommended for inexperienced builders.