- Shaq and NRG eSports Organization signed Luminosity’s former Overwatch squad, jumping into the latest eSport.
- The International has the largest prize pool in competitive gaming history with a current grand total just over $20 million.
- Research from firm SuperData shows that eSports is expected to grow to a $1.23 billion dollar business by 2019 (2016 expected market size is $661 million). Currently, advertising and sponsorships account for 75% of eSport revenue while the other 25% is generated directly via activities like betting and ticket sales.
- Variety reported that a new gaming documentary is in the works this time telling the story of the Optic Gaming organization, well known for their success in the Call of Duty series. The documentary is based off the New York Times Bestselling book Optic Gaming: The Making of eSports Champions.
- Alibaba just plunked $150 million into the International eSports Federation (IeSF). This new partnership with the IeSF will additionally help support the World Electronic Sports Games, which is the replacement for the no longer functioning World Cyber Games.
- Twitter dipped its toes into eSports airing 2 days worth of eSports action. As part of their partnership with Turner Broadcasting and Eleague, Twitter streamed the CS:GO action taking place at the Atlanta studio.
Game Related News
- Activision Blizzard firing on all cylinders – sells 8 million units of Overwatch, double what was previously expected.
- Hearthstone’s One Night in Karazhan adventure will be released the 11th of this month. The new expansion will deliver 45 new cards and a four wing adventure single-player experience.
- Darkest Dungeon set for September release for PlayStation 4 and Vita.
- Inside gets August 23rd PS4 release date.
- Gears of War 4 launches in October. Microsoft has big plans for the game, including a Gears eSports Pro Circuit.
- Microsoft Cuts Xbox One price to $249, prepping for Xbox One S release.
- Sony took Wall Street by surprise with robust PS4 sales that carried the rest of its lagging businesses. Their game and network business booked 14.5% sales growth for the quarter.
- New Alienware Aurora R5 Mini Gaming PC packs a potent punch per square inch and starts out at $799 for the entry model.
- Roccat matches the Razer Turret lapdesk with their new Sova lapboard. It comes with a built in mechanical keyboard but you’ll need to provide your own mouse.
- Sennheiser released a beast of a new headset in the Sennheiser PC 373D Surround Sound Gaming Headset. It features 7.1 Dolby Surround Sound and the expected Sennheiser polish.
Recommended Reads & Videos
Owning Esports Ep 1: Team Liquid’s Steve Arhancet talks CS:GO:
- Should eSports be in the Olympics? – Patrick Stafford – Polygon
- eSports Ain’t Easy: Inside the Everyday Grind of Pro Gaming – Phil Hornshaw – Complex
- Overwatch is the next big eSport, but not without speed bumps – Kellen Beck – Mashable