- Surprise, surprise. It has all come down to this for the League of Legends World Championship 2016. South Korean titans Samsung Galaxy and SK Telecom T1 will battle it out in a best of 5 on Saturday, October 29th.
- Team Liquid has signed the first professional Civilization 6 player days after the game’s release. Stephen Takowsky aka MrGameTheory will serve as the Civilization 6’s team captain.
- Riot is turning over a new leaf and allowing at least one advertiser some room in their walled eSports garden. Breaking from tradition, during the first day of World’s 2016 a sportscaster introduced a replay ‘brought to you’ by Acer. Monetization through sponsorships seems to be the answer to the heated disagreements between the game developer and eSports organizations participating in the LCS.
- Philadelphia 76ers ownership group drove their way to the eSports basket and purchased both Team Dignitas and Team Apex. These combined franchises will retain the Dignitas name and compete in the big titles of the day: LoL, CS:GO, Overwatch, HotS, and Smite.
- Machinima has decided to try their hand at satellite radio. The network announced they worked out a deal with SiriusXM to launch a daily show titled Machinima’s Inside eSports Radio.
- Misfits Beat EnVyUs in the Overwatch Open Grand Final and took home $100,000 in prize money.
- Overwatch as an eSport finds success: over 15 million active players and already has had 3 prize pools in the million dollar range.
- Report from Newzoo finds that 1 in 4 male millennials watches eSports regularly, also finds eSports viewing time is cutting into time spent watching NFL, NBA, MLB.
- Riot has begun work on a League of Legends practice tool. About time.
- StarCraft ProLeague, the longest running eSports league (14 years) is being discontinued.
- Rick and Morty co-creator Dan Harmon is making an eSports sitcom debuting in 2017.
- One of users’ favorite features of the Xbox One S? The ability to customize the controller with your favorite colors! Whatever you can dream up Xbox Design Lab delivers.
- Xbox One S a boon to Microsoft’s sales – Xbox outsells PS4 for third consecutive month in September.
- Valve reports Steam will soon natively support the PS4 controller.
- PlayStation 4 Pro slated for widespread release November 10th.
- PlayStation Experience 2016 will be held December 3-4 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, CA.
- Biostar delivers a cheap ($9.99) but formidable gaming mouse the AM2. This mouse is fitted with an Avago 5050 sensor, capable of up to 2,400 DPI.
- Latest GeForce GTX 1080 Ti rumors point to a CES 2017 launch.
- Audio technology company THX acquired by Razer.
Game Related News
- Big month for high profile releases: Civilization 6, Gears of War 4, and Battlefield 1.
- Amazon Game Studios announced 3 games in the works: Crucible, Breakaway, & New World. A third person shooter, hero brawler, and sandbox MMO respectively. The latest details: Amazon Game Studios plans to feature a special Twitch Wager and eSports System for their Breakaway title.
- Kotaku UK completed their in-depth investigation of the state of Star Citizen. The report is dubbed ‘What to Make of Star Citizen‘. tl;dr: Star Citizen is a massive project and developers are having a hard time meeting backer expectations.
- Dishonored 2 is out November 11th.
- You can find an updated, complete list of backwards compatible Xbox games here.
- Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition confirmed for all platforms in 2017.
- Serious Sam VR hit Steam early access October 17th.
- Overwatch has reached over 15 million active players
- Cuphead delayed until 2017.
- Final Fantasy 15 will support HDR on Xbox One S.
- New Game Mode for Heroes of the Storm is on its way, will be called Heroes Brawl. Blizzard will use Heroes Brawl as a way to test new ideas by rotating different game modes.
Interview with 76ers CEO Scott O’Neil about his organization’s eSports acquisition:
Beyond the Nexus – Episode 14 – Blizzard’s Plans for Heroes of the Storm 2017:
An overview of the success of Turner’s ELEAGUE and eSports on cable televsion – Jessica Conditt – engadget:
Opinion piece about how eSports will grow and develop faster with sports investment such as 76ers acquistion – Bryce Blum – ESPN: